Project Mordor

One does not just paint up a Mordor army… it much more torturous than that … so I pulled all my mordor models today and are sorting them so I can paint them all… I had few more than I thought however. In fact enough for 15 bands at least. oh damm that is like 310 minis…

Contemplated selling a heap off.. but then I just can’t do that… so I’m going to pint them up and box them.

So stock take:
Morannon orcs: I have 48 of these. None of them painted. There second last to be painted.
Morannon orcs

Mordor Orcs: 262
Mostly all are standard but some have been converted and need fixing up.
Mordor orcs

Mordor Uruks: 3 plus 5 Uruk hai conversions. so 8.
Mordor uruks

Warg riders: 25 of those. Will paint them last
warg riders

Trolls: 3 one troll chiftan and one mordor troll in the box to be made and one metal one made but to be painted.
troll chieften

Very much like this one

Mordor shaman: 1
like this one

So .. how am I going to do it….

12 figure batches this time… I usually do the whole lot in a production line.. not this time… each batch will have the same skin tone.. so I can mix them up later and they will all look some what different.

Mordor ors have all sorts of skin tones… and most importantly your 40k players… these orcs don’t have bright green skin.. ha ha!
Mordor orc faces
more faces of orcs
the last of the summer wine

I think this is going to be fun.
plenty of posts to follow.

Static grass applicator made from electric fly swat

Ok getting pissed off because every time I insert pictures it removes all my typing.. I typed a grand explanation as to how I built my electric fly swat static grass applicator.

It works fine.. except.

I want to put a DC supply into it but this might not be so good as it restricts movement.
Use good batteries.
Make the ground link wire light and flexible and reasonably long. I used wire to stiff and it occasionally tips over the base your working on.









U.S parachute infantry company – basically completed

Well I completed the job that was started well over a year ago.
On Saturday last I handed over the army to its rightful owner.
He was very happy with it and I must say I was pretty chuffed with what I achieved with it too.
The whole project is a bit of a prototype for what I want to do with my other armies.
As I’m running out of storage space I want to crate my armies too in way I can use them straight out of the box.

So the army was developed in the army builder tool on the FOW website and I made it up into the crate.

The crate is based on real dimensions of real ammo crates from WWII. Obviously I cannot get real hinges and clasps.. although I tried.
The only people making reproduction hinges and clasps won’t sell any because there A holes.
The crate was made from real cheap fencing grade pine and hand planed and routed into shape. The nailing was left neat.. I didn’t clinch the nails but I did nail from opposite sides to keep it in shape.
The hand hold ropes are sash window cord. A bit softer on the hands than real hemp rope. I should have pig tailed one of the handles and I forgot.. so it flips into the crate instead of out… but hey?

The army crate

So the crate is quite long … any longer and it wouldn’t have fit into the boot of the car… that was luck.
The crate has cleats on the top and bottom surfaces. i stuffed up the top cleat and they are not symmetrical. But otherwise the bottom ones are slightly offset so if you had two crates they would stack

The stenciled label on the crate
I hand cut a stencil and labelled the crate on the three sides. It really makes it.. otherwise it’s just a box.

The opened crate

The interior is split into rows for the bases. each row is fenced with a stick of MDF which is set into a groove which was routed onto the base before fixing to the box carcass. The colour coded felts are PVA glued to the box.

Acetone applied base markings key to lid inside

The bases of all the units have a coding so you can keep them together. The colour coding and the base code is printed on reverse on a photocopy paper then laid on the box lid interior and Acetone applied and stiff rubbing applied. This transfers the image mostly to the wood. Then a polyurethane varnish is painted over to set it. n aerosol varnish would probably be less noticeable.

Strop cord holding and the air support and bailed out markers

A window sash cord was attached inside as a lid stay. The cavity is there to allow the cord to fold into the box when closing the lid.

Aircraft and bailed out markers
The air support aircraft.. here is a P47 Thunderbolt was set in a piece of timber routed out to house the felt to sit it in. The stand is a new new one that is tall. The attachment is magnetized. The bailed out markers have there own well too.
There is also plenty of space for the other vehicles the owner has.

The platoons

Besides the label tabs you can see two of the three objective markers. There are two bronze star objectives and one purple heart marker. The PH marker is the third one… obviously.. if you’ve ever played fighting withdrawal you know why. Each was made with a medal from the BF blister packs, glued onto a MDF piece and sealed with multiple coats of PVA and polyurethane. each is numbered o the reverse.

I was going to make an interior book shelf over the infantry but never got around to it.

close up of interior

Here is a close up of the interior. Showing the spare two command teams here.. this allows the air stick platoons to be deployed. The army list this is based on is a late war set where they didn’t have two command teams.
The guns arn’t glued to the base… my bad.
The staff teams have ammo boxes around them.
The observers have radio aerials of wire… which can stab! The Sherman’s use brush wire which is so much better.

So there you have it… army in a crate…

My next project… super big orc army.